Friday, May 23, 2008

Deployment: May 23, 2008

Another bug fix deployment. We weren’t happy about it, because there were some big bugs that we knew still existed, but unfortunately we were having trouble reproducing some of the issues, so it was decided to deploy it into Production, and see if we could get some logs to help us diagnose the problem. That being said, we had fixed a whole bunch of other bugs, so it wasn’t necessarily a complete waste of time. It just irked us, because we knew that we’d be back in a couple of days, doing it again.

0130–01:34 (4 minutes): We all logged onto the conference bridge, and confirmed that we were ready to go.

01:34–01:36 (2 minutes): We shut down the application servers.

01:34–01:43 (9 minutes): We executed our database changes.

01:36–01:40 (4 minutes): We made some configuration changes to our web servers.

01:43–01:55 (12 minutes): We brought the application servers back up, and deployed the application.

01:55–02:12 (17 minutes): We Sanity Tested the application.

02:12–04:06 (1 hour and 54 minutes): The users did their Landing Tests.

Everything worked fine. At least, everything that we expected to work fine worked fine—we still had the issues that we were expecting to have.

Overall deployment: 01:30–04:06 (2 hours and 36 minutes).

No comments: